TORTILLA SOUP IS OUR FLAGSHIP DISH! THIS SPICY SOUP MAKES A HEARTY MEAL THAT GUESTS LOVE! IT’S ALSO INEXPENSIVE TO PREPARE! A VEGAN VERSION (WITHOUT YOGURT AND CHEESE) FEEDS 4 FOR A LITTLE OVER $10!
This hearty and spicy Tortilla Soup is our flagship dish! Make a vegan version by skipping the cheese and yogurt or try it for breakfast with a poached egg!
- large onion
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- veg or chicken broth: 2 cans of prepared broth or 2 bouillon cubes and 2 cups of hot water
- can of black beans
- can of diced tomatoes
- corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Bragg’s (or soy sauce)
- tortilla chips
- feta or cheddar
- cilantro or green onions
- Chop the ends off your onion, slice it in half and peel off the papery layers.
- Crush, peel and dice your garlic.
- Purée chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a mini food processor, with a submersion blender, or by chopping as finely as you can. You won’t need all of it, but it keeps for a long time in a sealed jar in the fridge.
- If you’re using bouillon cubes, boil a kettle of water.
- Burn the onion halves cut side down directly on your element or burner until nicely singed. Allow them to cool and then dice them.
- Pan-fry onions and garlic in a good splash of oil, in a deep pot on medium heat.
- When your onions soften, add the black beans and diced tomatoes including the liquids.
- Add corn.
- Add cans of broth or bouillon cubes and hot water.
- Add chipotle purée, Worcestershire sauce, Bragg’s and lime juice to your taste.
- Bring your soup to a nice heat before serving but try not to boil it!
- Break some tortilla chips in a bowl and pour your soup over top.
- Add yogurt; crumbled feta or grated cheddar; sliced avocado and chopped cilantro or green onions to your liking.