A zesty dashi-based dressing for our Sunomono!
- 2 cups water
- 1 piece of kombu
- handful of katsuo-bushi flakes
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 drops of sesame oil
- Rinse or wipe excess salt off kombu.
- Soak kombu in a deep pot of water on medium-low heat.
- When the water gets close to boiling and the kombu starts to get slimy, remove it, add katsuo-bushi flakes and turn the heat up to medium. Simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Strain the katsuo-bushi out of your broth and return the liquid to the pot.
- Combine 1 cup of your dashi with soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, apple cider vinegar and sesame oil in a mixing bowl. Let it cool in the fridge before serving your salads!
SUNOMONO ‘VINEGARED THINGS’
EVK’s hearty version of a Japanese home food favourite!
- 1/2 a cucumber
- 1/2 a red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 green onion
- 2 tsp dry wakame
- rice noodles
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- sesame seeds
- 4-8 cooked prawns
- Slice cucumber into thin coins.
- Cut red pepper and carrot into matchsticks.
- Finely slice green onion.
- Hydrate wakame in a small bowl of water.
- Boil noodles extra-firm in a deep pot of water with a splash of oil and a dash of salt. Rinse under cold water, drain thoroughly and pour into a salad bowl with apple cider vinegar to marinate.
- OPTIONAL: butterfly prawns.
- Half-fill bowls with noodles and add cucumber, red pepper, carrots and wakame in distinct groups.
- Pour SUNOMONO SALAD DRESSING over generously.
- OPTIONAL: add 1-2 prawns per bowl.
- Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds and serve.