SUIMONO ‘CLEAR BROTH’
EVK’s version of this beautiful Japanese clear-broth soup!
- 1 sheet or stick of kombu
- 2 handfuls of katsuo-bushi flakes
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/3 of a block of tofu
- a few shiitake mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 2 green onions
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- Rinse or wipe excess salt off kombu.
- Cube sweet potato and tofu.
- Slice shiitakes into thirds.
- Julienne carrot.
- Thinly slice green onions.
- Soak kombu in a deep pot of water on medium-low heat.
- When the water gets close to boiling and the kombu starts to get slimy, remove it, add katsuo-bushi flakes and turn the heat up to medium. Simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Strain the katsuo-bushi out of your broth and return the liquid to the pot.
- Add sweet potatoes, tofu and mushrooms and cook until sweet potatoes are done to your liking.
- Add soy sauce (lots!), salt and sesame oil (not too much!) to taste.
- Pour hot soup into bowls and garnish with carrots and green onions.