Puttanesca is a classic Italian pasta sauce that’s salty, spicy and fun and easy to make! Try our version with your favourite noodles!
PUTTANESCA PASTA SAUCE
East Van Kitchen’s take on Puttanesca: a classic simple pasta sauce that’s spicy and salty!
- kalamata olives
- medium-sized onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- chili flakes
- anchovy paste
- 1/2 a can of diced tomatoes
- Tear a handful of basil leaves.
- Slice a handful of olives in half and remove their stones.
- Dice onion and garlic.
- Set a medium-sized pot of water to boil with a splash of olive oil and a dash of salt.
- Set a deep pan on medium-low heat with a good splash of olive oil.
- Add onions, garlic and chili flakes and fry until onions start to soften.
- Add a squeeze of anchovy paste, diced tomatoes (including the liquid) and your basil and olives.
- Reduce heat and simmer.
- Add the pasta to your boiling water and cook until it’s almost ready but still a bit firm (it will keep cooking in the sauce). Strain.
- Add the pasta to your sauce and toss until noodles are cooked al dente (‘to the tooth’- cooked but firm). Pasta is very often over-cooked; check often and err on the side of caution; a noodle you have to bite through is a lot more fun than one that falls apart in your mouth!
- Portion out servings and top with salt, pepper and grated parmesan.