GERMAN STYLE POTATO SALAD
THEY HAVE POTATO SALAD IN GERMANY, ONLY IT’S BETTER! IT’S TRUE! THIS GERMAN-STYLE POTATO SALAD (‘KARTOFFELSALAT’) WITH VINEGAR-MARINATED POTATOES, MUSTARD SEEDS AND CHOPPED PICKLES IS A LOT MORE FUN! FILL IT OUT WITH SALAD GREENS, GRILLED ASPARAGUS OR ROASTED CHERRY TOMATOES; OR MAKE IT A MEAL BY ADDING A PROTEIN LIKE SLICED BOILED EGGS OR CHOPPED BACON!
OLIVE OIL AND WHITE WINE VIN MARINADE
Olive Oil and White Wine Vinegar Marinade for a German-Style Potato Salad! Checkout our post on Making Salad Dressings!
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- rice vinegar
- whole-grain or dijon mustard
- mustard seeds
- ground turmeric
- Pour a few good splashes of olive oil into a jar, blender or mini food processor.
- Add splashes of white wine and rice vinegar- you want to have a ratio of about 3 parts oil to 1 part acid.
- Add a little mustard.
- Add dashes of mustard seeds, ground turmeric (mostly for colour), salt and pepper.
- Seal your jar and shake, or whiz with a blender, submersion blender or mini food processor.
- Taste your marinade and balance it by adding more of whatever you think it needs.
KARTOFFELSALAT (GERMAN-STYLE POTATO SALAD)
German-Style Potato Salad IS better!
- 3-4 potatoes
- a few sprigs of dill
- 2-3 dill pickles
- 1 small red onion or a handful of chives
- artichoke hearts
- 4-5 grilled asparagus
- handful of salad greens
- an egg per person
- 2-3 strips bacon
- handful of cherry tomatoes (with olive oil, salt and pepper)
- Chop potatoes and dill.
- Coarsely dice dill pickles and OPTIONAL artichoke hearts.
- Dice red onion or chives.
- OPTIONAL: snap the dry ends off asparagus or tear a handful of salad greens.
- Boil potatoes with a dash of salt to desired softness- not too soft or they’ll fall apart later! Drain, toss in marinade and let sit for an hour or so, tossing occasionally.
- OPTIONAL: bring eggs to a boil in a small pot of water. Turn off the heat, cover with a lid, and let sit for 6 minutes. Rinse under cold water, peel and slice.
- OPTIONAL: fry bacon in a pan on medium heat.
- OPTIONAL: grill asparagus in a grill pan on medium-high heat until hot but still crunchy.
- OPTIONAL: roast cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet with a splash of olive oil and dashes of salt and pepper at 350˚ for 20 minutes.
- Combine cold elements in a salad bowl and toss in the remaining marinade.
- Serve with chopped dill and OPTIONAL asparagus, boiled eggs, chopped bacon or cherry tomatoes.