This is our version of an Indonesian ‘Mix-Mix’ Salad! Essentially veg (some raw, some cooked) in a spicy nut sauce- in this case, our Cashew Sauce! Often served on a bed of steamed potatoes, here we use angel hair pasta and lots of fruit! There’s plenty of directions you can go with a Gado Gado: try adding blanched bean sprouts, steamed green beens, or crispy fried onions! Make a vegan version with fried tempeh!
- small handful of cashews
- 1 slice of red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1-2cm of ginger
- 1/2 a Thai chili
- olive oil
- rice vinegar
- soy sauce
- 1/2 a lime
- maple syrup (or honey)
- sesame oil
- Coarsely chop cashews and toast them in the oven at 325˚ for about 8 minutes.
- Dice onion, garlic, ginger and chili.
- Throw everybody in a mini food processor with a good splash of olive oil and splashes of rice vinegar, soy sauce and lime juice.
- Add a little splash of maple syrup to reduce the acidic edge and 1 drop of sesame oil for scent.
- Pulse to desired consistency.
- Add water to thin if necessary.
EVK’s take on Indonesian ‘Mix-Mix’ salad: cooked and cold veg on a bed of potatoes or noodles with a spicy nut dressing!
- handful of cashews
- 1/2 a pack of puffed tofu
- 2-3 green onions
- red pepper
- 2 eggs
- olive oil
- pea sprouts
- Coarsely chop cashews.
- Slice tofu and green onions.
- Julienne carrot, red pepper, peach, mango and cucumber.
- Bring eggs to a boil in a small pot. Turn off the heat, cover and let them sit for 6 minutes. Remove, rinse under cold water, peel and slice them in half.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium-sized pot with a splash of olive oil and a dash of salt. Add noodles and cook extra firm (the dressing will soften them more later!).
- Toast cashews in the oven at 325˚ for about 8 minutes.
- Combine noodles, veg and tofu in a salad bowl and toss thoroughly in CASHEW SAUCE.
- Slice eggs, avocado, strawberries and lime.
- Portion out bowls of noodles and top with cashews, pea sprouts, egg, avocado, strawberries and lime.