REALLY GOOD COLESLAW
EVEN WHEN APPROACHED WITH DRASTICALLY REDUCED FOOD-FUN EXPECTATIONS, INDUSTRIAL COLESLAW FROM SAFEWAY, KFC OR BC FERRIES NEVER FAILS TO BE ANYTHING MORE THAN A LITTLE FOAM CUP OF SOGGY DISAPPOINTMENT. THIS REPEATED EXPERIENCE CAN LEAD ONE TO UNDERSTANDABLY CONCLUDE: ‘COLESLAW, AS A SALAD, IS AS LAME AS IT SOUNDS.’
TO COMBAT THIS PERCEPTION, WE AT EVK HAVE POSTED OUR CRUNCHY, CUMIN-Y, YOGURT*-NO-MAYO, SUPERFOOD-RICH COLESLAW RECIPE; A DIFFERENT APPROACH TO THIS CLASSIC SUMMER BBQ SALAD!
*WORKS JUST AS WELL VEGAN!
ACV + YOGURT DRESSING
EVK’s creamy Apple Cider Vinegar and Yogurt Dressing for crispy Coleslaw! Checkout our post on Making Salad Dressings!
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- rice vinegar
- maple syrup (or honey)
- sesame oil
- Finely dice garlic.
- Pour a few good splashes of olive oil into a jar, blender or mini food processor.
- Add splashes of apple cider and rice vinegar. You want to have a ratio of about 3 parts oil to 1 part acid.
- Add a dollop yogurt and a dash of salt.
- Add garlic.
- Add a little splash of maple syrup to take the acid edge off and a drop of sesame oil for scent.
- Seal your jar and shake, or whiz with a blender, submersion blender or mini food processor.
- Taste your dressing and balance it by adding more of whatever you think it needs.
- At the very last minute before serving your salad add the dressing a little at a time, tossing as you go. You don’t need to use everything you’ve prepared, it’ll keep for a bit in a sealed jar in the fridge. ‘Less dressing, more tossing’ is the mantra for salad success!
- 1/2 a head of purple, green or savoy cabbage (or a mix!)
- 2 carrots
- small red onion
- sunflower seeds
- sesame seeds
- cumin seeds
- green onions
- red pepper
- Thinly slice cabbage.
- Julienne or grate carrots.
- Dice onion.
- Cut OPTIONAL fruit, veg and nuts to desired size.
- Toast sunflower seeds and OPTIONAL nuts in the oven at 325˚ for about 5 minutes.
- Combine veg in a salad bowl and toss thoroughly in APPLE CIDER VINEGAR AND YOGURT dressing.
- Serve with seeds and OPTIONAL nuts.