TSUYU (DASHI, SOY SAUCE AND MIRIN)
A zesty and spicy sauce to bring flavour to the fabulous texture Agedashi Tofu!
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 1/8 of a Thai chili
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 cup of dashi
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- Bring everybody to a boil in a small pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is slightly thicker.
AGEDASHI ‘LIGHTLY DEEP-FRIED’ TOFU
EVK’s version of a Japanese restaurant classic!
- 1/2 a block of medium-firm tofu
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko
- a few katsuo-bushi flakes
- 1 green onion
- WET: Cube tofu.
- DRY: Sprinkle flour to thinly cover a plate. Sprinkle dashes of salt and pepper over top. Coat each cube on all sides.
- WET: Whisk an egg in a bowl. Dunk each cube to thoroughly coat.
- DRY: Sprinkle panko to thinly cover a plate. Coat each cube on all sides.
- COLD: Put your finished pieces in the fridge for half an hour or so if you have time. They’ll cook crispier if they’re cool when they go into the hot pan.
- HOT: Heat your pan on medium-high and add a good splash of oil. Cook your cubes until golden brown on all sides.
- SERVE: drizzled in TSUYU and garnished with katsuo-bushi flakes and sliced green onions.